Note books for 2nd period are due Tuesday, Oct. 29 and for 1st & 5th period, Oct. 30th. Write the notes IN YOUR COMP BOOK word for word (verbatim).
Team Handball Study Guide
Team Handball originated in Europe in the 1900s played first on soccer fields in Denmark, Germany, and Sweden.
• Men’s handball first appeared as an indoor sport in the Olympics in 1972, where it was played with 7 players on each side.
• Women’s handball was added to the Olympic Games in 1976.
Simplified Rules of the Game
1. Handball combines the elements of soccer and basketball, as six players move the ball down a floor trying to score by throwing the ball past a goalkeeper into the net. A successful scoring attempt (when the entire ball crosses the goal line) results in the awarding of a single point. For a goal to count in handball, the shot must be taken from behind the shot arc line.
A regulation game is played in 30 minute halves with one team timeout per half. A coin toss determines which team has first possession. The game begins with a throw-off and the clock stops only for team timeouts, injuries, and at the referee’s discretion. Analy PE rules, games will be played for a shorter game time.
2. Field of Play A versatile game, team handball can be played indoors in the gym, outdoors on the grass, on a paved area or on the beach. Analy PE field of play will be the gymnasium.
3. The Ball A regulation handball is made of leather and is about the size of a large cantaloupe. It varies in size and weight according to the group playing. In Analy PE Handball we use a soft gator skin ball.
4. The Teams: A game is played between two teams. In a regulation game there are seven players on each team allowed on the court at the same time (6 court players and 1 goalie). Analy PE rules will be 6 on 6 with 2 designated offensive players, 3 designated defensive players (including goalie), and a rover that can play both offense and defense.
Playing the Ball Regulation Rules:
Players are allowed to:
1. Dribble the ball for an unlimited amount of time 2. Run with the ball for up to three steps before and after dribbles. 3. Hold the ball without moving for three seconds. See Analy PE rules below.
Players are not allowed to:
1. Endanger an opponent with the ball. 2. Pull, hit, or punch the ball out of the hands of an opponent. 3. Contact the ball below the knees. 4. Slide on the ground or tackle opponents.
Analy PE Rules:
•May only possess the ball for 3 seconds, or 3 steps, or 3 dribbles. A player may choose 1,2, or all 3 options per possession.